Careers at the Institute
The Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute attracts talented scientists by providing exciting research opportunities and the freedom to pursue the unknown.
We offer an excellent benefit package including health insurance, generous retirement plan, disability and life insurance coverage, competitive vacation/holiday policies, and pre-tax spending accounts.
Imagine yourself in a dynamic environment utilizing cutting-edge techniques advancing science for generations.
Cryo-EM Center Director
The Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute is establishing a regional cryo-EM center and is seeking a center director. The HWI center director will be responsible for operational, scientific, and strategic oversight, including growth of the facility, and implementing a robust and reliable cryo-EM imaging pipeline. The pipeline is part of the Center for Therapeutic Interactions being created at the Institute aimed at both the study of interactions and creating them with local, regional and international institutions and biotech industry. We expect a broad spectrum of projects with a wide range of expertise levels. The center director reports directly to the HWI CEO.
• Supervise the creation of a state-of-the-art cryo-EM facility within the Institute and create an efficient research and service facility.
• Develop platform that enables inexperienced users to address key scientific questions.
• Establish a sample preparation pipeline for experienced and inexperienced users alike.
• Collaborate with the Business Development Director to attract and retain profitable academic and commercial users for the center.
• Collaborate with complementary resources including a high-throughput crystallization center, synchrotron facilities, and a regional center for computational resources.
• Ensure instrumentation is operational and produces data of the highest possible quality.
• Lead the planning for expansion of the facility to include additional microscopes.
• Attract and retain research staff to help operate the facility.
• Liaise with financial and accounting staff to implement an effective charging scheme for microscope time.
• Advocate for and collaborate on cryo-EM applications within the research community.
• Participate in external funding applications, e.g. instrumentation grants, large-scale center grants, collaborative grant applications, and others.
• Create and implement training programs that promote the scientific and commercial program of research capable on the cryo-EM instrument.
• Communicate with vendors and engineers for maintenance and upgrade of equipment.
Proven expertise in cryo-EM operation and use is required. Organizational skills, and strong written and oral communication abilities, are essential. Applicants will be encouraged to develop their own research program and collaborate closely with Institute scientists. Candidates are expected to have a PhD in a relevant field and a strong record of scientific productivity.
The Institute has a generous benefits package including fully covered health insurance, life insurance and parking. In addition we offer affordable vision and dental plans as well as Flexible spending and dependent care accounts. The Institute offers a retirement plan.
About HWI and Buffalo, NY:
HWI has celebrated more than 60 years as an independent research institute and is continually growing. Located in Buffalo, New York, HWI is at the heart of the growing Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus and partners with the University at Buffalo, Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Rochester and numerous others. It also has links to industry and operates the IMCA-CAT beamline at the Advanced Photon Source outside of Chicago.
Buffalo offers a vast array of community organizations which add to the richness of the area and also offer people many opportunities to grow and contribute. Housing is one of the most affordable in the United States.
Please send an introductory e-mail, CV and names of 3 references to Jill Szczesek, HWI Chief Operating Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute, Inc. (HWI) as an equal opportunity employer, extends employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on a non-discriminatory basis without regard to race, color, sex, creed, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic predisposition, carrier status, or disability that would prevent the performance of the essential requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation in compliance with the appropriate New York State and Federal laws, or any other legally protected characteristics. This policy applies to all conditions and terms of employment.