Duax High School Program
Eleventh Annual Summer Workshop in Molecular Bioinformatics
The 2020 HWI Summer Scholars schools will be held from July 6 to July 24 from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM five days a week. We can accommodate 35 students. Students who commit to attend the entire three weeks will be given preference.
First-time students must complete an application form with essay questions concerning their goals and motivations. We have been accepting students from 7th to 12th grades and have not rejected anyone who completed the application. There are no other prerequisites. Students will be accepted into the program in the order their completed application is received. If more than 35 applications are received, it may not be possible to accommodate the overflow.
Description of Program
Training is computer intensive. The students learn to use state of the art computer programs for amino and nucleic acid sequence analysis of the genomes of all bacteria and eukaryotes. The training includes the use of the most heavily used programs for biological analysis on the World Wide Web and a suite of unique programs developed in our laboratory for proteomic and genomic analysis. The students mine the data in the gene and protein banks of the world.
The four major goals of the research are to determine (1) the origin and evolution of the genetic code, (2) the order of evolution of all bacterial species, (3) the nature of evolution of the sequence and function of families of proteins present in all species, and (4) the amino acid residues responsible for substrate specificity in families of enzymes.
The students are not replicating previous experiments for which the results are already known. They are conducting experiments that have never been done before, that challenge basic tenets of structural biology. In this way students learn that genuine research demands flexibility, adaptability, creativity and patience.
The students are given opportunities to present their research goals and results and their interpretation of their data to coworkers, classmates, laymen, and scientists.
- HWI High School Summer Internship Program Application (2020)
- 2020 Duax Summer Workshop Application
- Parental Consent and Medical Treatment Authorization Form
- Required Essay Questions
The Roy Carver Foundation and donations from various supporters sponsor the high school program.
- There is an attendance fee of $250.00 for the 2020 school.
- There is an application fee of $50.00 that should accompany the application.
- If a student attends the program the $250 attendance fee will be reduced to $200. The full attendance fee will be due July 6.
- Checks for the fees should be made out to Hauptman Woodward MRI and mailed to 700 Ellicott Street Buffalo, NY, 14203 and annotated for the High School Summer Scholars Program.
There is no parking available on site. Parking is the responsibility of the driver.