The Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute is establishing a regional Cryo-EM center and is seeking a center business development director. The HWI business development director will be responsible for building and growing a robust business development competency for the Institute, the first priority of which will be cultivating a user pool of customers for the Cryo-EM Center being created at the Institute. With new cryo-electron microscopy technology at its core, the Center will offer state-of-the-art sample preparation, screening, data collection, and analysis services. It is expected that, over time, adjacent services, including but not limited to the Crystallization Center and synchrotron beamline, would expand the portfolio of development opportunities. The business development director reports directly to the HWI CEO.
- Coordinate commercial services of the Cryo-EM Center to pharmaceutical and small biotech companies
- Work with scientific staff to develop value-driven offerings in Cryo-EM and adjacent opportunities
- Develop new client relationships and new channel partners
- Manage and grow existing accounts and channel partners
- Establish sales targets and objectives
- Report sales forecast and develop sales quotas
- Project expected sales volume and income
- Develop marketing and sales campaigns to effectively reach key end-users
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing and growing personal networks, participating in professional societies and trade shows, and attending technical seminars and conferences
- Perform other relevant tasks as request
- Strong technical sales experience
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Project management experience
- Enthusiastic mind for technology
- Knowledge and experience of structural biology and Cryo-EM applications
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and still meet deadlines
- Open mind and ability to work independently
- Rigorous and accurate record keeping for client needs
- Bachelors degree or higher in an applicable scientific and/or engineering field is desirable
- Proven success in B to B sales and marketing to pharma and biotech
- Comprehension of selling structural services and after-sales services
- Strong communicator with end-users and distributor to build business relationship
- Experience in developing and maintaining operating budgets and effective sales strategies
- Domestic travel availability
- This position is subject for local hiring and working in Buffalo, NY
- Travel expenses are paid or reimbursed per business trip
The Institute has a generous benefits package including fully covered health insurance, life insurance and parking. In addition we offer affordable vision and dental plans as well as Flexible spending and dependent care accounts. The Institute offers a retirement plan.
About HWI and Buffalo, NY:
HWI has celebrated more than 60 years as an independent research institute and is continually growing. Located in Buffalo, New York, HWI is at the heart of the growing Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus and partners with the University at Buffalo, Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Rochester and numerous others. It also has links to industry and operates the IMCA-CAT beamline at the Advanced Photon Source outside of Chicago.
Buffalo offers a vast array of community organizations which add to the richness of the area and also offer people many opportunities to grow and contribute. Housing is one of the most affordable in the United States.
Please send an introductory e-mail, CV and names of 3 references to Jill Szczesek, PhD, HWI Chief Operating Officer at email@example.com.