Business Development Director for Structural Solution Services
The HWI Business Development Director will be responsible for growing a robust industrial and academic user base for the Institute’s services, including cryo-electron microscopy (Cryo-EM), crystallization and crystallography. The first priority is growing the business pipeline for the Institute’s new Cryo-EM Center. With state-of-the-art Cryo-EM technology at its core, the Center offers grid preparation, grid screening, data collection, data analysis, and structure determination services. In addition, the Business Development Director will assist with industrial access to the National Crystallization Center (crystallization screening capabilities and crystal optimization) and our synchrotron beamline at IMCA-CAT. The Business Development Director reports directly to the HWI CEO.
- Coordinate commercial sales to pharmaceutical and biotech companies, and academic and government users for the Cryo-EM Center
- Facilitate access for commercial users to adjacent services from the National Crystallization Center and IMCA-CA
- Develop new client relationships and partnerships
- Manage and grow existing accounts and partners
- Work with scientific staff to develop value-driven offerings
- Maintain a customer relationship management database
- Report sales forecast and project expected sales volume and income
- Develop marketing and sales campaigns to effectively reach key end-users
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing and growing personal networks, participating in professional societies and trade shows, and attending technical seminars and conferences
- Perform other relevant tasks as requested
- Strong technical sales experience
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Good collaboration skills with the team delivering the services
- Project management experience
- Enthusiastic mind for technology
- Knowledge and experience of structural biology and Cryo-EM applications and the community
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- An open mind and ability to work independently
- Rigorous and accurate record-keeping
- Proven success in B to B sales and marketing to pharma and biotech
- Strong network within biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies
- Comprehension of selling structural services and after-sales customer relations
- Strong communicator with end-users and distributors to build business relationships
- Experience in developing and maintaining operating budgets and effective sales strategies
- Prior experience in structural biology or an applicable scientific field is desirable
- Domestic travel availability
The Institute has a generous benefits package including fully covered health insurance, life insurance, and parking. In addition, we offer affordable vision and dental plans as well as flexible spending and dependent care accounts. The Institute offers a retirement plan.
About HWI and Buffalo, NY:
HWI has celebrated more than 60 years as an independent research institute and is continually growing. Located in Buffalo, New York, HWI is at the heart of the growing Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus and partners with the University at Buffalo, Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Rochester, and numerous others. It also has links to industry and operates the IMCA-CAT beamline at the Advanced Photon Source outside of Chicago.
Buffalo offers a vast array of community organizations that add to the richness of the area and also offer people many opportunities to grow and contribute. Housing is one of the most affordable in the United States.
HWI is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for all employees. The Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute, Inc. (HWI) as an equal opportunity employer, extends employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on a non-discriminatory basis without regard to race, color, sex, creed, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic predisposition, carrier status, or disability that would prevent the performance of the essential requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation in compliance with the appropriate New York State and Federal laws, or any other legally protected characteristics. This policy applies to all conditions and terms of employment.
To apply, please send in a combined pdf file a copy of your CV detailing previous working experiences and research achievements, a one-page statement about your interest in the position and your plan in career development, and names and contact information of references by email to Dr. Edward Snell, or by mail to: 700 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA.