Current Opening: System Administrator at IMCA-CAT
The Industrial Macromolecular Crystallography Association – Collaborative Access Team (IMCA-CAT) and the Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute (HWI) seek a motivated system administrator to join the IMCA-CAT team in accelerating pharmaceutical drug discovery through synchrotron-based structural biology research. The IMCA consortium, which funds and provides strategic guidance to IMCA-CAT, consists of AbbVie, Bristol Myers Squibb, Evotec, Janssen, Merck, Novartis, Pfizer, and Relay Therapeutics. As an employee of HWI, you will be based with the IMCA-CAT team at the Advanced Photon Source (APS), Argonne National Laboratory, near Chicago, IL. This is an ideal position for a motivated system administrator who is passionate about delivering strategic value, integrating new technologies, and working in a high-powered, collaborative environment.
This is an exciting time to join IMCA-CAT and partake in the significant facility upgrade to profoundly accelerate drug discovery research. As a member of the IMCA-CAT team, you will be an integral part of these upgrade activities, manage the computing environment in support of research, manage experiment data for pharmaceutical research projects throughout the upgrade and beyond, and ensuring the logging of metrics related to usage and operations. You will work closely with IMCA-CAT colleagues in an inclusive and respectful environment and will be expected to take initiative and contribute to the team effort. In this role, you can expect to:
• Manage facility computers, network, and software, including upgrades and licenses.
• Manage data storage systems to ensure fast, secure, and reliable storage for and access to data.
• Manage modern computing services, including email, databases, authentication, and virtualization.
• Manage network data transfer services, including Aspera, Globus, and rsync, and assist as needed with data transfers.
• Contribute as needed to developing, implementing, and maintaining tools and software, especially those to log facility usage.
• Communicate with researchers and present at meetings.
DESIRED SKILLS and EXPERIENCE:
• BA or BS in computer science or another relevant computing field.
• Extensive experience with UNIX-like operating systems and Lustre data storage systems.
• Experience with Ansible or equivalent configuration management tools.
• Working knowledge of scripting languages.
• Highly collaborative and team-oriented approach to conducting work and solving problems.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to write concise documentation.
• Deeply proactive approach to meeting and exceeding goals.
• Ability to meet requirements for site access to Argonne National Laboratory.
Send cover letter, CV, and contact information (name and email) for three references to Lisa Keefe, PhD, Executive Director of IMCA-CAT and Vice President of Advancing Therapeutics at HWI, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our websites to learn more about IMCA-CAT (www.imca-cat.org) and HWI (hwi.buffalo.edu). The compensation level for this full-time position will be competitive and commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications. HWI provides a generous benefits package. HWI is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for all employees.