As an independent institution, HWI’s dedicated researchers have the latitude to explore new ideas and breakthroughs, and to conduct intensive follow-up research that leads to greater understanding and application of their findings. The lab’s work is an essential component for forming clinical studies that produce new medications.
- Determined the structure of time-released insulin for diabetes.
- Determined the structure of Estrogen Aromatase and Estrogen Sulfatase, two of the three key enzymes targeted for new breast cancer drugs.
- Developed a fetal viability test to detect hypertension in pregnant women.
- Determined why licorice induces high blood pressure.
- First defined the structure of macromomycin, an anti-cancer protein.
These are just a few of the discoveries helping change the way people live.